|Subject:||Click It or Ticket Spring 2021|
2021 CLICK IT OR TICKET CAMPAIGN
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: [6-14-2021]
Sheriff Todd Volk
Successful National Click It or Ticket Effort:
Madison County Sheriff Department law enforcement wrote 2 seat belt citations
Madison County Sheriff Department in Madison, Nebraska raised awareness about seat belt safety to area residents during its annual Click It or Ticket high-visibility seat belt enforcement campaign, held May 24 through June 6. Law enforcement officers wrote a total of 2 citations for seat belt violations in the process. “I am not surprised that the seatbelt numbers are low in this area”. “We have noticed increasing use of seatbelts in our area,” said Sheriff Volk. The campaign, which coincided with the Memorial Day holiday, was twofold: to combine increased enforcement and a zero-tolerance policy, with effective communication to road users on the importance of seat belt use. On May 24, the campaign commenced with Border to Border, a one-day, 4-hour national seat belt awareness event coordinated by participating state highway safety offices and their respective law enforcement liaisons.
“This year’s Click It or Ticket campaign was a real success,” said Sheriff Volk. “Through our enforcement efforts, we believe we helped keep community members safe and reminded drivers of the importance of buckling up. Issuing tickets was not our goal, but it was a way to remind people of the importance of such a simple action.” Madison County had a total of 62 stops with 27 citations during this grant. They also made two arrests during the grant.
During this year’s campaign, NHTSA urged law enforcement nationwide to issue seat belt citations to anyone caught in violation of the law — during the day, and especially at night, when 55% of those killed are unrestrained. By adding patrols at night, and training officers on specific techniques to catch nighttime violators, the campaign — and the nighttime focus — was a “major success,” according to Sheriff Volk.
According to the 2020 Nebraska Seat Belt Use Survey report, Nebraska’s overall seat belt use rate for 2020 was 80.6%. The Click It or Ticket campaign is focusing on the remaining 19.4% who still don’t buckle up. Thousands of lives could be saved each year if every person was properly restrained on the road.
For more information on the Click It or Ticket mobilization, please visit www.dot.nebraska.gov/safety/hso/.
|Approve and send Last updated 06/14/2021 at 08:47 by Todd Volk|
|Sheriff Todd Volk|