|Edit||Subject:||Click It or Ticket 2020 Campaign|
2020 CLICK IT OR TICKET CAMPAIGN
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: [6-11-2020]
CONTACT: Sheriff Todd Volk
Click It or Ticket seat belt ENFORCEMENT EFFORT was successful
Madison, Nebraska— From May 18-31, Madison County Sheriff Department successfully shined a spotlight on seat belt use during its annual Click It or Ticket high-visibility enforcement campaign. Law enforcement officers wrote a total of 5 citations for seat belt violations in the process. The campaign, which included the Memorial Day holiday weekend, one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year, was twofold: to combine increased enforcement and a zero-tolerance policy, with effective communication to road users on the importance of seat belt use. The campaign kicked off with a collaborative Border to Border effort, a 1-day national seat belt awareness event coordinated by participating state highway safety offices and their respective law enforcement liaisons.
“This year’s Click It or Ticket campaign was a real success,” said Todd Volk. “Through our enforcement efforts, we believe we made progress. We don’t measure success by number of tickets issued; it’s about reaching people and promoting a simple, lifesaving habit.”
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly half of the passenger vehicle occupants killed in crashes in 2018 were unrestrained. During this year’s campaign, NHTSA urged law enforcement nationwide to issue seat belt citations to anyone caught in violation of the law—during the day, and at night, when 56% of those killed are unrestrained. By adding patrols at night, and training officers on specific techniques to catch nighttime violators, the campaign—and the nighttime focus—was a “major success,” according to Sheriff Volk.
Deputies had 99 contacts with the public during this period. 35 citations were issued for multiple violations. This year proved to be difficult with all the obstacles with the Covid epidemic. “My Deputies worked hard and safely through the conditions to help educate the public with seat belt usage.” said Sheriff Volk.
A pre and post wave survey was done to see if the whether the enforcement was a success. A 10 percent increase in seatbelt usage was found in Madison County at the conclusion of the mobilization. “The goal was to educate the public and save lives,” said Sheriff Volk.
The national seat belt use rate in 2018 was 89.6%. The Click It or Ticket campaign exists for the remaining 10.4% who still don’t buckle up. Thousands of lives could be saved each year if every person was properly restrained on the road.
For more information on the Click It or Ticket mobilization, please visit www.nhtsa.gov/ciot.
|Click it or Ticket 2020|
|Approve and send Last updated 06/11/2020 at 08:32 by Todd Volk|
|Sheriff Todd Volk|
Madison County Jail, Madison Nebraska, will resume inmate visitation Friday June 12, 2020 Please observe the following guidelines: Face masks are preferred for those entering the facility from the outside Visitor’s temperature will be taken before entering the facility No … Continue reading →
Edit Subject: One vehicle injury accident Hwy 81 Date: 06/02/2020 Location: South 81 On the morning of June 2nd, 2020 at approximately 8:40 AM, the Madison County Sheriff’s Office along with members of the Norfolk Police Department and Norfolk Fire … Continue reading →
Edit Subject: 2020 Click it or Ticket Date: 05/13/2020 Location: Madison County Please see attached press release for information. Thank You Sheriff Volk Madison County Sheriff’s Office Click it or Ticket 2020 Approve and send Last updated 05/13/2020 at 11:38 … Continue reading →
Edit Subject: Hwy 81 – 32 Junction 2 vehicle Accident with one Fatality Date: 04/14/2020 Location: Hwy 81 32 (East side of Madison, Madison County Updated Information: April 15, 2020 On April 14 at approximately 15:35 an accident was … Continue reading →